Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with Twitter

Can I analyze an audio file, rather than record input?

GuyWithDogsGuyWithDogs Member
edited June 2014 in ScoreCloud Studio
I've got various MP3 and WAV files of my sax playing, and I'd love to get them analyzed and turned into notation. Is there a way to do that with Windows ScoreCloud Studio? They are just the sax - audio tracks out of REAPER. No other instrument on them.

Comments

• LeifOLeifO Administrator
    Not yet, but hang in there, it's a feature we're working on at the moment!

Leif @ DoReMIR
  • That's awesome news. If you want a beta tester, let me know.
  • CwangCwang Member
    Also waiting on this
  • Yes. I agree that this is a much needed feature.
  • JohanRJohanR Administrator
    Hi!

We are indeed working on this feature, but issues regarding file format, compression, bitrate, noise levels etc, has made it slightly harder than we thought.

But it would be super helpful if you could describe the the files you have, so that we can work with specific user cases in mind! If you could comment with something like "Solo Saxophone, recorded on iPhone Voice Memo on the subway, saved as mp3", or whatever applies to you, that could speed this up!

Thanks for the input!
    / JohanR, ScoreCloud
    ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist
  • Solo sax, recorded into REAPER DAW, can be exported as WAV/MP3/whatever, no effects. Just a plain old mono input with only room acoustics.

It would be useful to be able to take a track recorded from my Android phone (in WAV/MP3). I've got a couple of different recording apps. I'd be happy if it worked with an app _you_ specify as "known working".
  • GuyWithDogs- I'm in the same boat here with Reaper. Could you not play the MP3 or Wav file into the mic on your device? Granted, it'd be better (easier) to import an MP3 file of your sax solo, but since the software supposedly can take audio input from a mic, why couldn't you just play your file on another device into the Scorecloud mic? Would this work? This is actually what I want to do as well. If it doesn't work, I can't really use it. I know what notes I'm playing, but charting it out with properly timed notes is where I stumble. This would be very cool if it works with audio.
  • barrywomb - That's something I've thought of, but haven't been able to try due to the amount of juggling I'd need to do (since pretty much everything is going through the one computer). At some point I'll try it (or ScoreCloud will implement it). In the meantime, I've got a wind controller that delivers MIDI, and ScoreCloud is happy with that.
  • I tried this. I downloaded the software onto my iMac, hit the record button and let my pre-recorded (isolated) bass track play and it did great! YES there were some MINOR flubs but the whole reason I want this is basically to help keep things in case my memory on them isn't great. This could be so cool for me!
    One problem- Why does it only record 2 minutes? Are there versions that do more than that??
    Hi!

The audio analysis is done in the cloud and is quite heavy on the servers, so right now there is a limit of 2 minutes of audio for performance reasons.

Audio file import is on the agenda but there are still hurdles to overcome.

/ JohanR, ScoreCloud
  • I need it to work from a .mp3 file. I could play the file on something else and into the mic but I have nothing to play it back.
  • I could transform it into a midi but how would I get it into the program? However, this is a great program. It just needs a little work.
    You can import MIDI files from the File menu. Just make sure to select "Import to Listener" if the MIDI is a performance, as opposed to a quantized produced MIDI file.
    / JohanR, ScoreCloud