Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tied notes, slurs, and trills.

chtguchtgu Member
edited November 2014 in ScoreCloud 4 / Studio
Score cloud does not play tied notes properly. I figured that the slur tool was interchangeable as a tie and slur with notes that are the same being tied together in note duration, and different note intervals being slurred, as is how notation works usually. It doesn't however and there is not a dedicated tool for adding ties. From what I can tell, the slur dynamic doesn't affect sound either.

Trills also do not work.

Could these be addressed?

Comments

• chtguchtgu Member
    edited November 2014
    Or perhaps there is a way to properly tie notes that I didn't notice?
  • Make a slur then right-click on it and convert it to tie.
    macbook pro | apollo quad tb | SC pro |
    royal college of music sthlm
  • JohanRJohanR Administrator
    Hi!

Ties are automatically added when the note value spans over a barline or similar. You can either prolong the note (Hold Alt + drag to the right), or you can remove the rest after the note to prolong it.

You can also, as Hadrian suggests, make a slur and convert it into a tie.

There is a big difference in the behind the scenes between a tie and a slur (one is two notes and the other is one), and they behave quite differently when interacting with them. But we'll look into the possibility of intelligent playback of slurs between two notes of the same pitch!

We are working on playback of trills and other articulation and dynamics!

/ JohanR, ScoreCloud
    ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist
  • chtguchtgu Member
    edited November 2014
    Thanks so much for the help guys. I was only referring to slurs between two different notes. I can't imagine any way for two same-pitch notes to be slurred.
  • chtguchtgu Member
    edited November 2014
    How do I get tied notes to show the beats of the meter? For example, if I'm in 6/4, and I want to tie a quarter note on beat three to quarter notes in the remaining beats, to represent the duration of a whole-note (4beats). The program seems to do this partially, but I can't get the beats to show the way I want them. Manually placing notes and then adding ties doesn't always work, as the program tends to combine notes instead of leave them where they are, divided. Can I disable the automatic note-length adjusting and just do it manually?
    edited November 2014
    Hi!

Trying to clear things up a little here :-)

A slur is an arcs that spans over a phrase of notes. A tie is an arc that is used to display a single note as two, for example when it spans over a barline. Here's a video on this.

Slurs are added by selecting multiple notes or a region and klicking "Add more -> Slur" in the toolbar.

If you right click a note, you can choose "Tie/Keep Together -> Divide At Beats", the result of this depends on the time signature (6/4 speced as 3+3/4 will behave differently than 2+2+2/4), double click on the time signature to change this.

/ JohanR
  • ScoreCloud won't seem to allow me to create a tie in just one note of a chord. The attached file might help to show you what I mean. Let's say I want to tie the last note of the first measure (the final g) with the corresponding g in the first chord of the second measure. To try to accomplish this I first highlighted both g notes, and using the "add more" button, created a slur between them. Then I right clicked the slur to convert it to a tie. While ScoreCloud did create a tied g, it also eliminated the top 3 notes in the rest of the chord. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a step that I missed? Thanks much in advance!
    scld
    scld
    Tie Trouble ;-).scld
  • I've spent nearly a half hour trying to figure out how to insert or delete a slur. Checked the so-called "Manual" and have been searching the forums with no joy, and I'm not looking forward to having to sit through a whole video, or browse several videos, just to find out something so simple. There's no way it should be so difficult to figure out how to use this program.
    edited March 2015
    Hi!

To insert a slur, just select one or more notes and choose "Add more -> Slur".

To delete a slur, just select it and press delete.

For more info, check my answer in this thread:
    http://doremir.com/forums/discussion/329/a-question-about-ties/#Item_2

/ JohanR