Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with Twitter

Manual Entry - How to start with rests

mjzwickmjzwick Member
edited November 2014 in ScoreCloud Studio
I am probably missing something very obvious but...

I am starting off with a blank score with 16 measures of whole note rests. I want to start entering notes (in measure 3), but the measure I want to enter starts with a half measure rest followed by a eighth rest, then three eighth notes. If I put the cursor blinking in the beginning of the measure, I can enter notes (via keyboard entry) or drag notes from the palette without problems. However, I can't seem to enter or drag rests. As an alternative, I can't get the cursor to position to the upbeat of 3 so there is no way to start note entry there. If I enter the eighth notes on beats 3, 3.5 and 4, I cannot select and drag them into position (I can select, but if I click anywhere on the three notes it deselects). Watched the manual entry video which seemed to have no problem with this. Help?

This really seems like exactly what we were looking for to make arrangements, but if the manual entry does not work I can't use it!

Thanks!

Comments

• JohanRJohanR Administrator
    Hello!

Right now the dragging of notes and regions is available outside of Manual Entry. We are currently looking at updating the Manual Entry, hoping to make it more intuitive, and enabling for example positioning of notes not only on the beats.

One way to do it now without leaving Manual Entry could be to write a quarter note on the third beat, and then selecting it and click on the eighth rest, replacing the first half of it..

/ JohanR, ScoreCloud
    ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist
  • I tried your workaround and will use it for now. But I think you misunderstood me. Rests should be enterable just like notes. But for me they are not. I can select a quarter note A for example ("A" "3") and it inserts it at the cursor fine. But if I select a quarter rest ("R" "3"), nothing happens...
  • JohanRJohanR Administrator
    Yes, I understand, but this is a problem with the underlying music representation we use. A rest is not an object in the score, it is the lack of notes, so to "enter" a rest is not possible the way we currently enter notes. We can of course work around this by building a way to enter graphical rests in the tool, as a way of positioning notes, we are looking into doing this for an upcoming update!

/ JohanR, ScoreCloud
    ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist
  • ErikRErikR Administrator
    There was been a recent bug that can cause this behavior. This has been fixed in ScoreCloud Studio 3.2.
  • So how long does it take for new versions to get posted to the App Store?
  • SvenESvenE Administrator
    edited November 2014
    It is already sent to App Store but it is hard to say a date since the review time differs. My guess is that version 3.2 should be available in App Store later this week [Edit: It's up now].
    NOTE:
    ScoreCloud Studio is distributed also directly from our site at http://scorecloud.com/download/. This version has another updating mechanism than the App Store version but is otherwise similar. It is available now since there is no review involved!