Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with Twitter

Dotted 1/8 notes being simplified

edited January 2015 in ScoreCloud 4 / Studio
I seem to only be able to play simple notes and have them recognized. As soon as I play a rhythm such as "dotted eighth, dotted eighth, eighth-tied-to-half" it simplifies it into junk. Either triplets and rests everywhere, or weird time signatures like 5/4 with a bunch of ties. What's the easiest way to correct this? Sometimes it works, but there's no way I can use this in my day to day workflow. I would love to love ScoreCloud, but it's just way too inconsistent with syncopation.

Comments

• JohanRJohanR Administrator
    edited January 2015
    Hi!

Are you using Audio or MIDI input?

Because the analysis cannot hear what your foot is tapping, it's hard for the analysis to hear whether three notes are a triplet, or just three quarter beats if the context is not long enough.

If you are using MIDI input, the first tip would be to try playing to a click track when doing complex rhythms.

Another way to show the program what you mean could be to play a longer part of music, like repeating the same thing a few times, or adding a few bars of simple quarter notes before and/or after.

If you want to post an example, we could see if there is something to tweak on our end!

In the iPhone app, we have implemented a "detail level" slider. This functionality will probably be ported to Studio at some point, and that could also help with cases like these, when the analysis don't know if you're doing syncopations, or just have a day of shaky timing ;-)

Regards
    / JohanR, ScoreCloud
    ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist