Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with Twitter

Recording vocal on Mac is just showing a series of the same note

misterboymisterboy Member
edited March 2015 in ScoreCloud Studio
I was playing with the iPad version and it was working but not being too accurate. Since I have a proper microphone on my Mac/USB interface I thought this might be better.
But even though I selected this interface as the recording device, when I try to record a vocal I get the same very high (probably about an octave above the top score line) note shown over and over, which bears no resemblance to what I'm singing.

I have the mic volume high (I've been recording in Audacity previously and am getting a strong signal). Am I missing some obvious step -the desktop interface isn't as intuitive as the iPad one so maybe I need to do something else first?

Thanks.

Comments

• JohanRJohanR Administrator
    Hi!

There should be no need to do something else first. I'm thinking there might be a signal issue, but it's hard to tell from here...

If you make a recording, analyze the snippet to a song, and save the song in the cloud. Could you then use the little email button in the bottom right corner to send the song to support@scorecloud.com, along with your post above? We might be able to figure out what the problem is using that!

Could you also try using another microphone, if you have one? Perhaps there is a built-in one if you're on a laptop? Are the results the same?

Hope we can figure this out!
    / JohanR, ScoreCloud
    ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist
  • misterboymisterboy Member
    edited March 2015
    Thanks for the quick response. I don't think I have another mic but this is a professional one (SM58) I've recorded several tracks on and the quality is pretty clear. My singing's not, but the iPad recognised at least I was singing :)

I wonder - before I do as you've requested - does ScoreCloud actually save a copy of the vocal I record? So I can check it has actually heard what I was singing - this seems the most obvious reason to me.
  • Oh - my audio interface outputs in stereo. Do you know which channel ScoreCloud would listen to... I frequently pan vocal hard right and guitar hard left so I can record them individually and I wonder if that could be the problem.
  • Yep - that was it. It must have used the left channel when I panned right (or vice versa, I forget).
    Sadly the accuracy doesn't seem better - it seems to jump up/down octaves randomly - but maybe I just need to work on singing the notes not the lyrics.
  • JohanRJohanR Administrator
    Hi!

The recording is not saved on the computer, but streamed in realtime. It is cached on our servers, that is one of the reasons we could use a saved version of the song, to perhaps dig up the cached pre-analysis recording.

Great that you figured it out! The program should of course be able to detect what channel gets signal, or use a mix, but as you noticed it doesn't at the moment. We will adress this!

Here is a video with general tips on the ScoreCloud Audio Recognition, from the FAQ. It can be easier to check on ScoreCloud Express since you can listen to your original recording there. The original recording will be saved in ScoreCloud Studio in future versions.

Thank you for helping us improve!
    / JohanR, ScoreCloud
    ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist