Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with Twitter

A Question About Ties

PaulPaul Member
edited March 2015 in ScoreCloud Studio
Hi, Probably my biggest remaining question about ScoreCloud involves ties. I'm attaching a one-bar file to highlight the issue. As you'll see, I've tried to create two ties in the bar, which appear over several intervals. Actually they're not ties but slurs. When I right click the slurs and press "convert to tie", ScoreCloud deletes some of the notes.

I've tried to convert some of the notes to a sub voice, but that seems to change the stem direction of the converted note which means that I can't beam all the notes together. I wonder if there's a method I'm not following or something I'm doing wrong. Thanks so much in advance for your thoughts!

Paul in NY
scld
scld
Ties in Intervals .scld

Comments

• JohanRJohanR Administrator
    edited June 2016
    Hi!

Yes, slurs and ties is a common area of confusion. I'll try to make it clearer:

First things first.

* A slur is an arc that means that multiple notes within it "are to be played without separation", such as with legato.

* A tie is a symbol that is used to visualize that a single note is spanning across important musical events, such as a barline or a beat.

They look similar, but behave completely different. In the attached image, [A] is three notes with a slur, [B] is one note divided by beats and therefore represented by three tied quavers.

This means that if you enter two quarter notes, connect them with a slur and then convert the slur to a tie, you now have a half note! And if you have a half note, choose "divide at beats" and then convert the tie to a slur, you now have two quarter notes.

Here's a video that I find quite good on this:

For your specific example with the sixteenths, the problem is that there are stacked notes with different pitches getting removed. To get this exact visual result, there is no other way in ScoreCloud Studio than to use a slur, as you have done. The notes will play back as two.

This spelling is however not a recommended way of writing this kind of passage because it is hard for the reader to follow. You might want to consider creating a subvoice to separate the musical lines, as in the last attached image of a classical guitar piece.

Hope this helps!
    / JohanR
    slur-tie.PNG
    264 x 102 - 17K
    voice-slurs.PNG
    140 x 147 - 13K
    guitar-subvoices.PNG
    285 x 109 - 11K
    ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist
  • ErikRErikR Administrator
    Just to clearify further... Paul's request is a valid one: even though this notation is not the best in many situations, it is still valid notation, and may have its place under some circumstances.

So yes, that is currently a limitation of ScoreCloud Studio. However, as editing of ties is a recurring request, it is likely that we will address it in a (not so distant) future release!
  • PaulPaul Member
    Thanks so much guys! And also for such quick responses! All this is extremely helpful. I know this issue has come up before and hope I haven't frustrated you with this; I really tried to search the forums for clues before writing you again with this.

Anyway, since sending you my message last night, I tried again to rewrite the phrase using a subvoice, and this time with a lot more success. But when I altered the phrase a bit another issue came up: the placement of the rest in main voice falls directly on top of one of the notes in the subvoice. Here's the attachment to show you the new bar. Is there a way to move the rest in one voice to where it won't collide with the note in another voice? Thank you so much again, and thanks again for your patience!

PS - I've also never seen ties and slurs explained with more clarity than in the video you sent. Should be required viewing :-)
    scld
    scld
    Ties And Rest Placement.scld
  • JohanRJohanR Administrator
    Hi! We'll have to take a look at that automatic rest placement. But you can move the rest up and down by selecting it and pressing the up/down keys on the keyboard. Kind of a hidden feature that we are working on :-)

/ JohanR, ScoreCloud
    ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist
  • Geez, I never thanked you for cluing me in to this tip! What a nice solution. :-)