I had this question recently:
"How would I make the strings sound pizzicato for just a section of the piece?"
The ideal way for this to work would obviously be for one to enter pizzicato have the player recognize this. However, this is how you can get around it right now, (watch the film as well)
If you make that particular selection a separate voice it is possible. This is how you do it:
1. Go to the Voices/mixer toolbar button
2. Click and drag over the score to select the piece of the voice that you want to give a new sound.
3. Right click (Ctrl click on mac) on the selection and choose Move to New Voice
4. Note the new name of the voice, go to the mixer tab,
5. Click on the little arrow in the lower left corner of the part to show all voices
6. Select a new sound for this voice, eg pizzicato strings (nr 46)
(7. Write pizzicato in the score using the Add more toolbar button, choose music text)