Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with Twitter

Writing a non-metered score

I am writing parts for a hymn from our hymnal. every line has 11 eight notes and then a quarter note. There is no time signature. Will Score Cloud let me write a free no time signature score? The best I was able to do was write it in 6/4 but the final quarter note in each line becomes two eights notes tied across the measure. The original hymn doesn't even have measures. Then I really run into problems with the bass clef. It should be quarter, quarter, dotted quarter and it won't let me put in the dotted quarter. Please help. I am suppose to have this written by Wed the 21st for rehearsal.

• JohanRJohanR Administrator
    edited October 2015

This feature is unfortunately quite hidden in ScoreCloud, but in the bottom bar it says "metrical", if you click this, it will change to "non-metrical" and all time signature information will be hidden from the score.

It can be a little finnicky to insert the whole song in non-metrical mode though, so I would recommend you to add a custom time signature under Time/Rhythm -> Advanced that corresponds with your melody.

For example "1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+2/8" (11 eigths + 1 quarter), or if you want the eigths to be beamed, something like "3+3+3+2+2/8" (three groups of three eights + one group of 2 eights + 1 quarter).

You can also right click in the score and choose "Insert here -> Time change", if you need bars of different length.

Once you have inputted your melody correctly, switch to non-metrical to hide all the time signature information.

Hope this helps!
    / JohanR, ScoreCloud

ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist