Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with Twitter

MusicXML export

I am dissapointed in this feature, cause i had a lot, (and thats A LOT) of trouble putting chords in 25 songs and now my band mate says that the files doesnt have chords when he opens them on Finale (2014). He also said that it may be because of the old version of MusicXML. Here is what he sent me:

My files (from ScoreCloud)

<!DOCTYPE score-partwise PUBLIC "-//Recordare//DTD MusicXML 2.0 Partwise//EN"

Finale 2014 writes this kind of XML
<!DOCTYPE score-partwise PUBLIC "-//Recordare//DTD MusicXML 3.0 Partwise//EN"

He also said in the MusicXML files, there should be lines that say something like <harmony default-y="40"> (or similar) but my files dont have anything like that.

I am not much of a coder but even i can see that my friend's Finale (even though 2014 version), it says MusicXML 3.0 and i have up to date version of SC, my files says MusicXML 2.0

There has to be fix for this cause otherwise my work was worth of nothing!!! Can you like update the MusicXML to version 3.0 or something?

Comments

• JohanRJohanR Administrator
    Hi!

This indeed seems to be because the output from ScoreCloud Studio is MusicXML 2.0. We'll definitely take a look at upgrading the version so that it can hold the chord symbols for future updates of the program!

Sorry about that!
    / JohanR, ScoreCloud
    ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist
  • Ok thanks, but how long do you think it takes? I wasnt planning to pay the PRO version until "some where in the future" but only this one month.

I was also checking the website
    http://www.musicxml.com/for-developers/
    ... "Version 3.0 of the MusicXML™ format was released in August 2011. ..."

Please can you hurry with this? How complicated process it is to update to the 3.0 ?
    Hi, unfortunately the development needs to be planned and implemented, and then the release process takes a little while, so there is no way for me to say when it will be done right now.

If you email support@doremir.com and link to this thread, we could give you a voucher for a shorter period of PRO that you could use when the update is released, to do your exports then.

Sorry again about the hassle!
    / JohanR, ScoreCloud
  • Thanks but I dont know ... i had a deadline for this session, and its kind of the time now. My band mate was going to continue with the project and ... well, maybe i dont have to explain it more, but i was thinking ... do you have someone who knows Finale, or other notation software that can handle chord symbols and write proper MusicXML files chord symbols?
    Are you guessing what i am suggesting? ;)

Yes, i need 24 songs on MusicXML files that contain the chord symbols, ... i dont have a use for a voucher that i could use somewhere in the future. I can send you my .SCLD session files or/and PDF prints, but i need them MusicXML now!

Here's one of the songs, to get an idea what kind of stuff it is
    https://my.scorecloud.com/song/a6f4b76793213ab8985af38652767018/Etkö-Uskalla-Mua-Rakastaa-BASS-mid
    Hi,

I'm so sorry. The only thing I can think of is that you can use the "Convert to voices" in the Chord Playback Dropdown in the right hand actions panel when a chord symbol is selected. That way you'll get the chords played as notes, witch will be included in the MusicXML. You might then be able to use something like Finale's "Chord/Two-Staff Analysis" to convert them back to chord symbols..

/ JohanR, ScoreCloud
  • Sorry for late reply ...
    Anyway, yes Finale had that option but it wasnt that good. It somehow read the chords like ... "its either this or that chord" you know. It would have had a lot work to make them correct ... remember this was 25 songs and if every single chord is messed up like this, it would just be too much work to go through all the 25 songs.

BUT, i dont know if you know but i kind of accidently found out that this software of yours still writes the LYRICS to the XML file. So, if i would have written the chords to the LYRICS space, they would now be in the XML files >:(

So i am asking you a favor now, cause well this was more like your fault, and not mine and believe me, i DO NOT wanna rewrite all the 25 songs' chords again!!! and i dont have the PRO version anymore to export them
    . ... so, what if i send you the files, and you do it? Then send the XML files -that now have the chords in LYRICS space- back to me.
    Do it like this:

I kind of bought the PRO version for this purpose, and now i didnt have any use for it. :(

See file attached for the result from Finale!
    pdf
    pdf
    LikeThis.pdf
    Hi!

We have just pre-released the mac version of the new ScoreCloud Studio 3.5, witch includes chords in MusicXML export. (The windows version is not through testing yet). So if you have access to a mac, install/update to this version, it should work!

http://download.scorecloud.com/ScoreCloud-OSX-350.dmg

Send an email to support@scorecloud.com and link to this thread, and we'll give you a 1 month free PRO voucher, so that you can use the new export feature.

Sorry about the hassle!
    / JohanR, ScoreCloud
  • Sorry but nope.
    But what if i send the files to you and you just export them as MusicXML files? If the new version for mac has the new version of the MusicXML, then all you would have to do is open the files and export them. That would be like 5 minute job ...
    Hi,

You'll have to email the support for a request like this. Attach the songs, or links to them, and see if it's possible.

/ JohanR, ScoreCloud
  • Ok, i will do that.
  • I have now sent the request. Please let them know if you are not part of the ScoreCloud team, ...!