Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with Twitter

The Key Of C# Major

I noticed that the key of C# Major is not an option in the key change window, only its enharmonic, Db Major. Is it possible to enable the C# Major key signature?

Comments

• JohanRJohanR Administrator
    Hi!

Right now the program only supports key signatures with up to six accidentals. We are looking at extending that to support custom signatures, including C# Major as well as any combination of b's and #'s, but there is no plan yet for when it will be done.

/ JohanR, ScoreCloud
    ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist
  • Respectfully, I find that completely inappropriate. C# Major is not a custom key, and when you're teaching the Circle Of Fifths, it's the key after F# Major; the key with 7 Sharps. I realize this is not your fault, and I also realize there is no timetable to implement C# Major (also A# minor I assume). However, I would not have purchased ScoreCloud had I known not all the keys were represented.
    Hi,

I understand.

One of the reasons why the line was drawn on six accidentals is that the dominant chord in C# Major is G# Major, witch includes the first double sharp note (Fx). This makes us have to extend for example the chord logic to make room for this. That is why it makes more technical sense to group that development together with custom key signatures.

I see that this does not help you a lot, but can perhaps make some sense of the decision.

/ JohanR, ScoreCloud
  • Thanks for the reply - I must be missing something though. The Dominant Chord, G#, is spelled G#, B#, D#, all accounted for in the C# Major key signature. And if you include the dominant 7, that's still an F#. I guess the leading tone to the Dominant Chord would be Fx, but that's extending things a bit out.
    You are right, but when writing in C# Major, a melody in a dominant section can very well include the Fx, and even thought you can write double sharps now, all parts of the editing and analysis are not fully equipped and tested to handle that gracefully yet. Thinking of this as a part of custom key signatures there for makes sense to the development.

/ JohanR, ScoreCloud