Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with Twitter

Newbie - Problem with adding notes to a bar. Software won't let me make room for extra note.

Hi everyone,

I've managed to create a snippet of music using my voice and on the whole it's ok, but I need to insert a note into a bar. The problem is the software doesn't let me. If I remove the two beat rest to make room for the new note it increases the note before and takes up the space I've made. If I try inserting the note after the rest it won't let me. I cannot seem to find any instructions on how to do this. Do I have to re-record the whole thing just to get this right?

Comments

• JohanRJohanR Administrator
    edited May 2016
    Hi!

I'm not completely sure what you mean. But yes, a bar can always only contain the correct amount of music material (a 4/4 bar needs 4/4ths worth of notes or rests) so if you remove a rest, the note before it will fill it's space. And you can't insert more notes than it fits.

So you need to replace part of the rest with your new note.

One way to replace a part of the two beat rest with for example a quarter note is to select the beat (indicated with a gray overlay) and then playing a note, either with an external MIDI keyboard, or using the on-screen Piano

Another way to do it is to go in to the Manual Input mode (in the toolbar) and drag a quarter note from the sidebar onto the half rest, on the beat where you want it.

Or select the beat and the quarter in the left sidebar and pressing the letter of the pitch you want (like 'b') on your computer keyboard.

Hope this helps!
    / JohanR, ScoreCloud
    ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist
  • kaazoomkaazoom Member
    Thank you Johan. I'm gradually getting used to the software. It does crash a lot though.
  • JohanRJohanR Administrator
    Ah!

You could help us with that by clicking the Help -> Report Bug in the menu. This will send us a bug report with the crash info, so that we can try to fix it!

If the crash forces a quit, you can click "ignore" and then report, before manually restarting the program.

Thanks!
    / JohanR, ScoreCloud
    ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist
  • kaazoomkaazoom Member
    Okay, I'll do that. :)