Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with Twitter

Red Chords?

I have started putting chords into my score and some of them (D2 to be precise) are coming up red. Does this mean ScoreCloud doesn't recognise the chord? I notice that I can put Dsus2 in - but my guitarists are more likely to recognise simple D2. Is there some way I can enlighten the app to this way of writing the chord?

Comments

• JohanRJohanR Administrator
    Hi!

Yes, the red chords means that ScoreCloud doesn't recognize it. It can still be printed but will not be played.

I have never seen D2 used before! We could add D2 to the recognized chords, but how would you consider it to be played? I did a quick google search and saw some that treats D2 as Dsus2, but others that argues that D2 should be 1, 2, 3, 5 where Dsus2 is 1, 2, 5. I would personally prefer Dadd11 to get 1, 2 (11), 3, 5...

Opinions? :-)

Thanks!
    / JohanR, ScoreCloud
    ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist
  • Another reply I missed because I don't seem to have notifications set up for replies! However this is such a relevant thing that I've come up against it again, only this time with F2. Sometimes an extra 2nd is added to a chord to give a bit of extra 'scrunch' without it being resolved. Even if it were a suspension, it could still get resolved downwards by leaving out the tonic and scrunching up against the 3rd rather than the other way round. But here I am again doing an arrangement of a song and using the composer's original chords and this one also has a chord with an added 2nd. It has F in the bass and G, A and C in the treble.

So I will try D+11 in my score to be able to complete it but I think my non professional guitarists may give me some puzzled looks as they are used to reading F2. Thank you for your interest in these nitty gritty issues!
  • I just tried F+11 and it was still red.
    Hi!

Thank you for the clarifications.

Oh, "F+11" is also a way of typing it that I haven't seen before. The plus sign is also used for "augmented" (as in "F11(#5)") and "major" ("F+" as opposed to "F-"), so there is some ambiguity there as well.. "Fadd11" works.

This thread on a guitar forum has interesting discussion about this, if you want to geek out :-)

I just realized that I was mistaken in my previous post. The 2 in the scale is not the 11, but the 9! So The "D2" would be "Dadd9".

I just read this post, and this quote explained what I didn't know about pop guitar specific chord symbols:

"3. Chord symbols are not normally used to describe the voicing of the chords. The exception is guitar chord sheets for some pop lead sheets or student guitar books, which often have a voicing built into the spelling. (i.e. C2 or Dm7add2). This is not the same chord spelling the other players (piano, bass, instrumentalists) would see."

We'll have a look at that area of chord symbols and see if we can add a few more spellings to ScoreCloud!

Thanks again for this feature request!
    / JohanR, ScoreCloud
  • Sorry, again I didn't see this post when you put it up - but I've now spotted the instructions on getting notifications so I shouldn't miss any more new posts!

As a pianist I have always played from a score (or improvised straight out of my head!). As a classical musician I was also taught to read chords from figured bass and Roman numerals. When I started to stray from classical music I was told how to read chord symbols that guitarists use - but only the most basic details as in Dm/C means a D minor chord over a C bass. Since then I have found out a few other details such as C5 means leave out the third - but other than that I know nothing except what I would automatically understand from studying harmony.

I would guess a lot of pianists would be the same as me. So I see D2 and I expect to play a D major chord with an E added somewhere. I use a lot of lead sheets when I play at church and I can honestly say I have never seen the word 'add' in the middle of a chord. I had no idea the plus sign was for augmented - I thought it was another way of adding something to a chord. So I'm not very well informed about chord symbols. I am just copying the original composer's chord symbols on a song while I'm adding an instrumental part to it.
  • I've just registered to say the same... it would be good if we could add our own type of chord. There's a lot of ways to type chords around the world. Here in Brazil we type C7+, for example (C E G B), or Cº as diminished... and would be good to hear at the midi the chord as we type... So, if you don't know it to put it in the library, maybe we could add it to the program library ;)
    edited November 2016
    Hi!

Cº as diminished works already in the program, but you need to enter the Degree Symbol (C°) and not the Ordinal Indicator Symbol (Cº). They look almost identical, but are not recognzed as the same by the program. We can probably add that symbol as a alternative to the degree symbol in a future upgrade!

If you type for example "Cdim" or "Caug", you can check the chord drop down in the right hand Actions Panel to see alternative spellings of the current chord.

The accepted spellings for "C Major 7" (C E G B) is "Cmaj", "Cmaj7" or "CΔ".

We have refrained from using the plus (+) sign to mean anything other than augmented, because that is the most common use, and the other uses have too many ambiguities (there are already collisions in this thread), but we will look at the possibilities to create custom spellings of chords!

Thank you for the detailed input!
    / JohanR, ScoreCloud