Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MIDI file to piano sheet?

I have downloaded a piano song(around 4 minutes) from YouTube in the format of mp3, then I converted it into a midi file and opened it in scorecloud. I was planning to make a piano sheet of the music but literally I failed. I couldn't analyse it even for 5 hours and I am quite desperated now...
1) Can a piano sheet actually be made from a midi file?
2) If yes, how can I do it?
3) How long does a normal analyse take?
Thankssss

Comments

• JohanRJohanR Administrator
    Hi!

A piano sheet can indeed be made from a midi file. Although, converting mp3 to midi is usually very flawed, and I don't expect that any existing audio to midi conversion can produce a midi file that is good enough for transcription.

We are also working on polyphonic audio transcription inside ScoreCloud Studio, but that technology has quite a bit left to go before it can be used to transcribe sheet music from an mp3 file.

My best bet would be to find a proper midi file of the song online, and import that into ScoreCloud Studio. Or to play the song on a midi keyboard into ScoreCloud Studio.

I guess we could look at the midi file and show an error message with additional info before attempting to analyze it, if it looks like a lost cause, instead of having you wait for hours, though. We'll look into that!

Thanks for reaching out!
    / JohanR, ScoreCloud
    ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist
  • So what can I do now to have my piano sheet
  • JohanRJohanR Administrator
    I'm not sure what you mean, but like I said, if it's a known piece I would look for a proper midi file online and import it into ScoreCloud Studio, or play it on a midi keyboard into ScoreCloud Studio.

/ JohanR, ScoreCloud
    ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist