Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with Twitter

Feature Request: Tempo changes

PaulPaul Member
edited March 2015 in ScoreCloud Studio
Hi,

It would be a cool feature to be able to change tempi during a piece, and not necessarily be tied to the one established at the beginning of a score. Just as an example, this could be really effective if say, someone wanted to begin with a slow introspective intro, and then after a pause, surprise everyone by upping the tempo & changing the character of the piece. Would love to be able to do that! Just a thought . . .
Thanks as always for listening. :-)
Paul in NY

Comments

• JohanRJohanR Administrator
    Hi again Paul!

Yes, this is a feature that we know is needed, but since it's pretty complicated and not highly requested has been bumped down by more pressing feature requests and bug fixes. But rest assured that it is on the list!

Thanks for reminding us of real world needs :-)
    / JohanR
    ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist
  • PaulPaul Member
    Hi Johan!

Thanks for responding so swiftly! Honestly I have to agree with you, this isn't the most pressing request I can think of either, and I'm just as happy that you're moving forward with all your other changes first. From past experience, every time a new version is released the software improves in very significant ways. I've become obsessed with checking for new versions lol. Thanks again!
  • I agree with the post above. I am currently notating an arrangement I created and would like to change the time signature partway through the piece but cannot. So if you could bump the request up a notch that'd be great ;) otherwise I guess maybe I can compose it in two separate files for now?
    Hi!

Thanks for letting us know!

You can of course compose the parts in separate files for now, or change the time signature back and forth while editing, and add a music text remark with something like "new tempo = X bpm" for printing.

/ JohanR, ScoreCloud
  • I'm struggling to add bits of text to the document as when I click on white space there's no option to do so and the help box only shows what it thinks you want as opposed to being able to search somewhere for the item description you need. is there a complete manual online somewhere?
    I really need tempo changes too!!!!! It is a definite need, thank you, I do really like the programme though.
    Hi! Text Boxes and Music Text is added via the "Add more" button in the toolbar.

There has been too many updates in each version to be able to create and maintain a complete user manual, but we are working on making the help section searchable, and adding more extensive guides to the website.

/ JohanR, ScoreCloud
  • I just want to let you know that i was also trying to find this option just now :D Would it be easy to just add one more option in the "ADD MORE" or in the right click "insert here" ---> and put "tempo change" there. ...or, maybe it could be a new option in the "magic wand" :D "Detect tempo change"
    Sounds simple but maybe not in the developer point of view ;)

Here's my piece, if you want to take a look at something that has tempo changes ... i wrote a wedding march for my own wedding a few years ago, that has a lot of tempo changes. The MIDI file should have the tempo changes, but if not, here it is on YouTube where you can here the tempo changes.

mid
    mid
    (MIDI) Häämarssi.mid
    Thank you for letting us know!

Nice piece, as well!

/ JohanR, ScoreCloud
    Also, in cases like with this MIDI file, if you don't want to play the piece again, I would choose to import the MIDI into the listener (chosen in the MIDI import dialog).

Then I would select a part that is played with a consistent tempo in the listener and analyze it. Then go back to the listener and select the next part and analyze it separately.

I would then copy the pieces together, from one song to the other, and manually write out the tempo change as Music Text.

PNG
    PNG
    analyze_section.PNG
    My wedding was already 4 years ago, so i dont need to do anything with this anymore. ... unless my daughter wants to use it when she gets married :D
    I was just checking if i could find something about the tempo change here in the forum, and decided to give my ideas.

But i will test the way you just explained. Thanks :)

Off topic:
    4 year ago, i tried to put this piece on paper with another software, but finally had to pay for someone to make the trascript for the cantor to play it. ... oh and the cantor tried to talk her way out of it offering some other piece ... i dont know why ... was it too weird or too hard to play, lol. :D
    Anyway, because that was totally stupid thing from her, i asked her play Domenico Scarlatti's Sonata in G major, K. 455 as ending march which she also tried to skip. (MIDI file attached to see how ScoreCloud goes nuts when trying to import it, lol) (This Scarlatti MIDI is from internet and not made by me)
    mid
    mid
    sonatas_k-455_(c)sankey.mid
  • bzshawbzshaw Member
    When is the tempo change feature going to be incorporated? I have needed this in quite a few pieces I am working on. Thanks
  • VittorVittor Member
    edited September 2016
    Hey guys we really need this feature.. It's been more than a year we've been waiting for this and nothing until now... it is a matter of necessity for us all.
  • chiaverechiavere Member
    +1 on the need for tempo changes in pieces - thank you!
  • I'm a bit baffled that this isn't right up near the top of the priorities. I just started using the program and as an orchestral composer so time changes are really, really important. Things like ritardando/accelerando and a tempo go with this.
    Suggested implementation: rit/acc inspector window shows a textbox with 'final tempo' to allow it to increase/decrease to desired speed regardless of the next marking in the score (for playback preference).

Is there a public roadmap for viewing? Or a bug/task tracker with voting? There is lots of excellent software for this if you're interested.

The core of the program, the audio to notation, is extremely good! I will continue using the software for making sections to later export to more capable editors until some of these basic notation features are standard.

Thank you for your software
  • Hello!

There is obviously a demand for this feature!
    So can you please make it a priority?
    Hi!

We have just implemented a first version of this, and have now started testing it to straighten out some issues. It should be available in the next update of the program!

We look forward to hearing how you like it!
    / JohanR, ScoreCloud
  • CamCam Member
    When will this next update be coming out? I'm working on a piece right now that has a couple tempo changes.