Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with Twitter

All notes played on piano captured in notation format in one fell swoop - can this be achieved. How?

Downloaded ScoreCloud express app today. Thought it would support full music notation output from acoustic piano ie I would have both left and right hand notation on treble and bass lines. No joy. Anyhow really looking for a device that can capture full music notes played on a piano not midi oriented and will give me full score on what's played. Is there such a device, app Etc that can meet these needs? Or what is the nearest device that could go some way to meeting my request? Thanks.

Comments

• JohanRJohanR Administrator
    Hi!

The audio recognition in the ScoreCloud Express app i currently monophonic, meaning it can only hear one note at a time, no voices, no chords.

The only way to do this at the moment is to play into ScoreCloud Studio on a MIDI keyboard. We are working on polyphonic audio analysis, but that is a completely different animal, many multiples more complex. But we do think it can be done! :-)

Hope this helps!
    / JohanR, ScoreCloud
    ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist
  • Many thanks for update. Looking forward to seeing a device in the near future.
  • Hi,
    What are the barriers to overcoming the ability to be able to convert acoustic piano music to musical notation i.e scoring.?
  • JohanRJohanR Administrator
    Hi again. There are currently no reliable systems for polyphonic audio analysis. We are working with some of the top researchers in this field to make this possible, but it is a tough nut to crack indeed.

Barriers include things like instrument classification and separation, overtone identification, note onset and offset detection, reverbation, detection of sliding, vibrato and ornamentation, etc etc.

If you're interested in the specifics, here's a good start! :-)
    https://scholar.google.se/scholar?q=polyphonic+audio+analysis

/ JohanR, ScoreCloud
    ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist