Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with Twitter

MIDI file to piano sheet?

I have downloaded a piano song(around 4 minutes) from YouTube in the format of mp3, then I converted it into a midi file and opened it in scorecloud. I was planning to make a piano sheet of the music but literally I failed. I couldn't analyse it even for 5 hours and I am quite desperated now...
1) Can a piano sheet actually be made from a midi file?
2) If yes, how can I do it?
3) How long does a normal analyse take?
Thankssss

Comments

• JohanRJohanR Administrator
    Hi!

A piano sheet can indeed be made from a midi file. Although, converting mp3 to midi is usually very flawed, and I don't expect that any existing audio to midi conversion can produce a midi file that is good enough for transcription.

We are also working on polyphonic audio transcription inside ScoreCloud Studio, but that technology has quite a bit left to go before it can be used to transcribe sheet music from an mp3 file.

My best bet would be to find a proper midi file of the song online, and import that into ScoreCloud Studio. Or to play the song on a midi keyboard into ScoreCloud Studio.

I guess we could look at the midi file and show an error message with additional info before attempting to analyze it, if it looks like a lost cause, instead of having you wait for hours, though. We'll look into that!

Thanks for reaching out!
    / JohanR, ScoreCloud
    ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist
  • So what can I do now to have my piano sheet
  • JohanRJohanR Administrator
    I'm not sure what you mean, but like I said, if it's a known piece I would look for a proper midi file online and import it into ScoreCloud Studio, or play it on a midi keyboard into ScoreCloud Studio.

/ JohanR, ScoreCloud
    ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist