Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with Twitter

How Do I Add A Chord Roll?

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to notate a chord roll, and I can't figure out how to add it in ScoreCloud Studio.

Can anyone help me?

Comments

• JohanRJohanR Administrator
    Hi!

If you mean the wavy line symbol, that is unfortunately not available yet, but it's on the list of symbols to be added!

It would be helpful to know the specifics of how and where you would use it, and how you expect it to look and work! If you could find an image where it is used in the way you want, please attach it here!

/ JohanR, ScoreCloud
    ScoreCloud Staff and Mandolinist
  • That's the one.

I tend to use them for flourish in the middle of multiple chord changes or at the end of a piano piece. It would be nice to be able to select the chord and then add it directly to the chord with a control click menu option.

Here's an example of how I would like to use the piano chord roll.
    png
    png
    Chopin Cmin Nocturne chord roll.png
    Thank you! I'll pass that along!

/ JohanR, ScoreCloud
  • Hi Johan! Can I second Tylime's request? I would love the ability to add chord rolls as well!

There are two kinds of rolls I'd love to see in a perfect world, and both are depicted in measure 1 of the piano piece that Tylime attaches: The first beat has a single squiggly line symbol running vertically between both clefs of the grand staff. I was always taught that these are to be played as a single continuous arpeggio, rolling up from the bottom-most note in the bass to the top note in the treble clef, like a string of pearls flowing upwards.

In beat 3 (just as in beat 1) there are two chords written, one in the treble one in the bass. But instead of a single long squiggly line linking the right and left hand chords, beat 3 has two separate shorter squiggly lines written out - one for each chord. At least in classical music, these are played not as a continuous single chord roll, but with each chord breaking and rolling more or less at the same time (in other words, multiple notes sounding concurrently as the right & left hands break their cords together). Asking for both of these in play-back may be too much I know, so if it was a choice, I would definitely go for a single continuous arpeggio.

Also (and this may REALLY be asking for too much ;-), but it would be beyond awesome to include a feature in ScoreCloud which we could click on to modify the speed of the roll. That way rolls in a funeral march could be played back stately and slow, rolls in a spritely piece more rapidly, etc.. Of course I realize that SC is primarily a notation program and not a sequencer, and the most important thing is to be able to write things out correctly. But you've created such an integrated user-friendly program that I find myself using it more than anything else, even for sequencing. It's really helpful to be able to click on something like the staccato symbol and actually get to hear and audition it . . . and then make changes to the score immediately based upon the results, without having to switch to a different program.

Anyway, thanks as always for your consideration and for seeking our input. Am so loving this software!!!
    Thanks for that! This helps a lot!

/ JohanR
  • You're so welcome - thank you!

And actually, while we're on a roll (ouch!), there's a related symbol that would be great to have in ScoreCloud too: the glissando, or glide. I'm including 3 attachments to show some examples. The same squiggly line is used except that with a glissando the line isn't vertical but runs obliquely, at an angle. It can ascend or descend, and the angle can change too, depending upon how far apart the notes that the glissando is connecting are. It can also cross a bar line (as in the very steeply pitched descending glissando between bars 55 & 56 of the harp piece). Sometimes the abbreviation gliss is written out near the squiggly line, but that we can always just add with a text box.

I can imagine a set-up in ScoreCloud where we can click on the glissando icon in the menu and then, once the symbol is on the page, drag each end of the squiggly line to the note it modifies. That way we could make it as gradual or as steep, as long or as short as the passage would require.

Thanks again for listening, and best to everyone at SC for the holidays!!
    jpg
    jpg
    glissando.jpg
    jpeg
    jpeg
    DiatonicAndChromaticGlissandi.jpeg
    png
    png
    GlissandoHarp.png